Rescue Contacts
Help Us?
  1. Song Birds - Passerines
  2. What if I find a baby bird?
  3. Be Aware of the Following:
-        Under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act and state law, it is illegal for anyone to injure or possess an indigenous bird without a permit. Introduced species such as English sparrows, European starlings, and common rock pigeons are excluded.
-        An injured bird requires immediate specialized care. Any delay reduces their chance of recovery.
-        Most veterinarians do not have time, special facilities, or experience to handle injured wildlife.
-        Birds learn to fly before they learn to find food. They rely on their parents for about two weeks (or longer) after leaving the nest.
-        Cats and dogs destroy many young animals that are just beginning to try out life on their own.
-        You can find a permitted rehabilitator on our contact pages.

If the young bird is not injured:
  1. Be sure the area is free of other animals that can cause harm and keep pets indoors. Leave the youngster alone.
-        If a baby bird in on the ground, carefully return it to the nest or into a nearby bush.
-        If a bird’s original nest is destroyed, place the baby in a berry basket or plastic cup (with drainage) and put it near the nest site.
-        It’s a good idea to watch for the parents from a discreet distance. If one does not go to the baby in an hour, contact a rehabilitator as soon as possible.

If the bird is injured:
  1. Place the bird on a towel, cloth, or shredded paper in a cardboard box that’s just the ‘right size’ for it and close it. Put the box in a dark quiet place until a rehabilitator can be contacted.
-        Do not offer food or drink.

Back to Main Site